- Being transgender is "just a phase"
- Transgender people shouldn't be protected by law
- Transgender people (and other LGBT people) recruit impressionable children to "follow them down their path"
- No transgender person stays transitioned, they all eventually revert to their birth sex
- Being transgender didn't exist before the 1980's
- Transgender people, after having many surgeries, look like "monsters"
- Boys wearing girl clothes is wrong, girls wearing boy clothes is wrong
- Boys should play with boy toys, girls should play with girl toys
- People transition just to get attention
I challenged them. I explained to them why everything they were saying was wrong. I tried to educate them. But the bullshit just kept coming. I wanted to scream in their face that I was trans and that they should close their fucking mouths and open their eyes. I wanted to flip the dinner table over, and punch them in the face until their hatred stopped. And then, I just wanted to cry. I wanted to cry because I can't believe I am related to people that are so ignorant and bigoted. I wanted to cry because they don't know I'm trans and because I feel like I can never tell them because of all the things they said tonight. I wanted to cry because of all the other closeted LGBT folks that are probably eating family dinner at home right now dealing with the same kind of thing.
I want to come out to them more than ever now. Rip the bandaid off, get it over with. Sit back and watch the fallout. Start over. I think they will come around (they will have to, if they want to continue to have any kind of relationship with me). For now, all I can do is keep trying to prep them as much as possible by educating them about trans issues and hope they can look past their hate. It will get better.