Saturday, January 21, 2012

What the Fuck USCCB?

Recently the US Department of Health and Human Services announced that women in the United States will have their contraceptives covered by most insurance companies, free of co-pays.  It is important to note that most private insurers already do this for their female customers.  It is also important to note that access to contraceptives is only a small portion of what HHS is mandating Healthcare providers cover.  That list includes:


  • Well-woman visits.
  • Screening for gestational diabetes.
  • Testing for the human papillomavirus (HPV) as part of cervical cancer screening for women age 30 and older.
  • Counseling about sexually transmitted infections.
  • Counseling and screening for HIV.
  • Counseling on breast-feeding, including breast-feeding equipment.
  • Counseling on interpersonal and domestic violence.
The United States Conference of Catholic Bishops (known for it's strong stance on gender equality...not) is displeased.  Which is completely understandable...no one likes paying for a broad set of services, some of which you will never end up using.  Wait...that's not what this is about?  Check the intro: Unconscionable to force citizens to buy contraceptives against their will.

Right.

Call me crazy, but I think there's a small difference in paying for a collection of services which may or may not apply to you, and in being forced to buy something against your will.  And call me super-crazy, but it doesn't seem that difficult to, if you're morally opposed to contraceptives, um...I don't know, NOT USE CONTRACEPTIVES!

But...but...they're just mad their money pays for something they don't agree with.  Right.  And I'm mad that my tax dollars, in some portion, make it to religious organizations that I don't support and so-called charitable organizations that, if given the opportunity, would tell me to go fuck myself if I needed their help.

No comments:

Post a Comment