Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Big Damn Heroes

Some of you that follow me as a writer (and really, bless you), have noticed the more...active...stance I've taken on LGBT issues. I've moved most of my blog posts here and a lot of my free time has been spent figuring out who I can bother in regards to LGBT rights. (Which has been fun, but I digress.)

I referenced earlier today the writer Alvin McEwen, head of the blog Holy Bullies and Headless Monsters, as the inspiration for this blog. And while I do consider Alvin, and other writers like him to be heroes, the real heroes are not the famous figures sprinkled throughout history. There is one element that when missing makes Martin Luther King another casualty, makes Rosa Parks a woman on a bus, and makes GLSEN, GLAAD, and the SPLC organizations among the forgotten.



Us.

The Big Damn Heroes are us, the regular people who take a look at the issues plaguing our society and say, "this shit is fucked, let's change it."  That's not an attempt to make myself into something I'm not and may never be.  I didn't start writing this to make a name for myself, I started writing it to make a future for others.  I started writing it because I couldn't sit around and do nothing anymore.  For me, this blog has been a call to arms, a loading of the guns and a saddling of the horses.  There has been a certain power in approaching those that didn't deign to think about LGBT issues until I got a hold of them, a tenacity in me I never new I had.

And the best part of it all is we're only getting started.  This is the beginning of increasing LGBT acceptance.  The road is going up and the future is getting brighter.  People are booing Rick Santorum all across the country.  Youth aren't putting up with their elders' bigotry.  Kids are standing up to their parents, to their teachers, to their administrators and forcing change.  Big damn heroes?  Ain't we just.

No comments:

Post a Comment