Friday, May 4, 2012

Partner-ship

I actually really never have been comfortable with the term 'girlfriend' to describe my current relationship.  It just never seemed to fit.  Still, only recently have I started using the term 'partner' in casual conversations with people who haven't had any sort of gender introduction to my other half.


Surprisingly the reaction has been pretty even keel. Granted this is New York, a fairly liberal state, but even here support for same sex marriage doesn't sit too far about fifty percent, especially in the rural pockets upstate that I'm most often in. I'm not sure what I expected, but an unnoticeable nonchalance certainly wasn't it. I often think that we're a fundamentally flawed and ultimately broken society, but it's nice to see sometimes how far we've come.

No comments:

Post a Comment