Tuesday, August 14, 2012

"Never Felt More Me in My Whole Life"

If you follow us on Twitter at all, either collectively as @RainbowMasochsm, or me personally as @CriminallyVu1gar, you'd know that I love Miley Cyrus.  She is a wonderful human being, from her love of dogs to her support for marriage equality.


 Recently Miley made a major change in hairstyle, now sporting a blonde pixie cut, tweeting "Never felt more me in my whole life."



Understandably, with such a major change, and such a suggestive tweet (Miley went on to say, "I feel so pretty, ohhhh so pretty and gayyyy,") there has been rampant speculation over what the haircut signifies.

My take?  I think it signifies, exactly what Miley said it does, that she, a big time celebrity essentially raised by popular conventions, pop culture, and the Disney Channel (as well as this theoretical person her mostly conservative fans thought she should be), has graduated to the point where the decisions she makes are for Miley and no one else (okay, maybe one other person).

And given the seemingly never ending parade of bad decisions made by current and former child celebrities like Jamie Lynn Spears, Britney Spears, and Bristol Palin as they transition into adulthood, Miley's ability to not only look after herself, but to do so in a way that is loving and eloquent is a much needed breath of fresh air.

No comments:

Post a Comment